Financial Aid 101

Other Loans

  • How do I pay for law school if the financial aid that was offered to me does not cover my cost of attendance?

    You can apply for additional loans (federal Grad PLUS or private loans) to make up any shortfall in Michigan Law’s budget for you. If this is not clear when viewing your award information on Wolverine Access, make sure you have selected the Award Notices tab, and not Award Summary tab. The amount that you can request is listed as Grad PLUS/Alternative Loan Eligibility. By clicking on that link, you will be given a comparison of federal Grad PLUS and private loans, along with application instructions. 


  • Should I borrow federal Grad PLUS or private loans?

    For most of you, Grad PLUS is going to be your best option. Federal Grad PLUS loans are eligible for the loan repayment assistance programs (LRAP) that are offered by Michigan Law and the federal government. Grad PLUS also offer generous amounts of deferment for unemployment and economic hardship. Private loans are not eligible for any of the loan repayment assistance programs, and they come with very little flexibility during repayment. 

    Grad PLUS and Private Loans



  • Do you offer any merit-based scholarships?

    While the University of Michigan Law School devotes many of its financial aid funds to applicants who have demonstrated financial need, we also offer merit awards.

    The Admissions Office administers our two merit scholarship programs: Darrow Scholarships, which cover as much as full tuition plus a stipend, are awarded to a handful of exceptional students in each entering class selected by the faculty in reflection of the recipient’s outstanding scholastic achievements, as well as the sense that they will one day go on to a remarkable career; we also offer Dean’s Scholarships, which vary in size, and are offered to those whose academic achievements and demonstrated leadership promise significant contributions to both the Law School and the legal profession.

    All admitted applicants will be considered for merit-based scholarships, and no separate application is required. If you have additional questions about merit scholarships, please contact the Admissions Office at 734.764.0537 or [email protected]

    In cases where no merit scholarship has been offered, the Financial Aid Office is occasionally able to take financial award offers from competing schools into account.

  • Where can I find information on outside scholarships?

    For your convenience, we have a listing of scholarships that are available to our students. Some web scholarship searches are available online. You can also research scholarships at your local library or on the Internet. We also post scholarship opportunities at the Law School as they come to our attention. If you receive an outside scholarship, in most cases it will not decrease grant assistance from us, so it is definitely worthwhile to pursue outside funding.  

    Supplemental Sources of Financial Aid



  • When will I receive my financial aid disbursement?

    Typically, each of your financial aid sources (grants and loans) will be available on the first day of classes of each semester for which you are enrolled. Your financial aid will be applied directly to your student account, and any excess funds will be refunded directly to you. 


  • How will I receive my refund?

    The fastest, most convenient way to receive your refund is by direct deposit. We strongly encourage you to set up direct deposit on Wolverine Access under Student Business > Payroll & Compensation > Direct Deposit. If you do not sign up for direct deposit, your refund check will be mailed to the permanent address that is listed on Wolverine Access.


Non-U.S. Citizen JD Students

Transfer Students

Paying Back Loans