Last Revision Date — May 12, 2021
The University of Michigan (U-M) privacy statement recognizes the value of privacy of the university community members and its guests.
This unit-level privacy notice provides more specific information on how the University of Michigan Law School website collects and processes your personal information.
The notice applies to our practices for gathering and disseminating information related to the University of Michigan Law School (“we,” “us,” or “our”) and is meant to provide you an overview of our practices when collecting and processing personal information.
How We Collect Information
We collect personal information in the following circumstances:
- Direct Collection: When you directly provide it to us, such as when you enter your contact information to sign up for a newsletter, request more information, or register for an event on michigan.law.umich.edu.
- Automated Processes: when personal information is captured through technology, such as through a session cookie placed on your computer when you visit and authenticate on our websites.
- Third-party Collection: when third-party advertising and marketing providers capture personal information through technology, such as a cookie, on our behalf.
The Types of Information We Collect
We directly collect the following personal information:
- Personal information, such as name, date of birth, UMID, contact information.
- Event registration information, such as accommodations, dietary preferences, and guest information.
During a user visit to michigan.law.umich.edu, we automatically collect and store certain information about your visit, which includes:
- The Internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website
- The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
- The type of browser the visitor is using
- The date and time of visit
- The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to michigan.law.umich.edu
We may also use third-party advertising and marketing providers such as Google Analytics and Google AdSense. Information collected through these partners includes:
- Content viewed during the visit
- Date and time of visit
- Amount of time spent on the website
- Visitor location based on IP address
- Demographic information
How This Information is Used
We use the personal information we collect to allow us to monitor website performance, make improvements to site navigation and content, and better serve our visitors. We use the personal information we collect to support:
- Recruiting activities, such as hosting open house events
- Administrative tasks, such as responding to service requests
- University engagement, such as managing event RSVPs
With Whom This Information is Shared
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, share your personal information in limited circumstances, such as with university partners or external service providers that support business activities.
Specifically, we share your information with service providers such as:
- Webform solutions, such as Google Forms
We strive to ensure these service providers keep your personal information secure and do not allow them to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than providing services on our behalf.
We may also share your personal information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
What Choices You Can Make About Your Information
Direct and Third-Party Collection
Individuals subscribed to e-newsletters and marketing communications may opt-out using the unsubscribe prompts in those communications.
Automated Collection: Cookies
We use “cookies” to enhance your user experience when visiting michigan.law.umich.edu. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit to our website. When you access michigan.law.umich.edu, the following cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings:
simpleSAMLAuthToken (security and authentication)
Purpose: This cookie determines whether or not a person updating the website is logged in via University of Michigan’s single sign-on. This collects no information about users who are not logged into the website. Opt-out: Find out more about managing cookies through your browser.
Drupal (website performance)
Google Analytics Cookies (analytics and performance management)
Siteimprove Cookies (analytics and performance management)
Automated Collection: Social Media Plugins
How Information is Secured
The University of Michigan recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we endeavor to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The University of Michigan strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
Privacy Notice Changes
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
Who to Contact With Questions or Concerns
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact the web manager at email@example.com or 701 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109.
Notice Specific to Persons Within the European Union
You will find the University's notice specific to persons within the European Union here.