Applying for Financial Aid

There is no financial aid deadline for entering transfer students. Transfer students are only eligible for loans. 

To apply for Direct Unsubsidized loans, complete steps one through three as described below. 

To apply for a Grad PLUS or private loan, complete step four.

  1. Complete and submit a 2024-2025 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To apply for Direct Unsubsidized loans, complete the FAFSA at Your and your spouse’s information must be recorded on the FAFSA.

    Request that a copy of the FAFSA report be released to the University of Michigan Law School, code #E00506. (Note that the rest of the University of Michigan uses a different number.) Be sure to retain a copy of the completed form for your records.

    Financial aid offers are made within two weeks of admission and the completion of your financial aid file, usually in July or early August.

  2. Complete entrance counseling for federal loans.

    Complete Entrance Counseling
  3. Complete the Direct Unsubsidized Loan Master Promissory Note.
    This step should also be completed on the website. There are separate promissory notes for Direct Unsubsidized and Grad PLUS loans. If you are borrowing both, you will need to complete a promissory note for each one. 

    Complete Promissory Note 
  4. Apply for a Grad PLUS or private loan.

    If you need to borrow a Grad PLUS or private loan, a separate application is required. Since credit approvals expire, the earliest you should apply is June 1; we will begin processing the Grad Plus on July 1.

    If you borrow a Grad PLUS loan, please be sure to complete the School’s Grad PLUS loan application, and not the one on the website.

    Grad PLUS and Private Loans

     Grad PLUS Loan Application