Independent Nature of Overseas Opportunities

The Law School is not able to assess the risks of going overseas for an externship. When going abroad, it is the student's responsibility to investigate and determine the risks associated with the endeavor, and whether to undertake such risks. The University has a wealth of information available to assist with travel planning. 

Global Portal      University of Michigan International Center

Students going abroad for an externship are required to read all of the information in Travel Registry, U-M Travel Policy, Preparation Checklist, and Health & Safety. These sections contain important information about the University's travel registry, international travel and health insurance, health and safety for international travel, visas, and links to pertinent information sources.

Travel Registry     U-M Travel Policy      

Preparation Checklist      Health and Safety   

Visa Requirements

It is the student's responsibility to determine and comply with all legal requirements for entry into the placement country (i.e., if obtaining a visa is necessary, etc.). Students who will be doing an overseas externship can contact the International Center about the requirements to enter and work in the country of placement.

Students can also consult with the closest consulate of the country where the externship is located to determine their entry requirements.

Overseas Travel Waiver

As a condition of enrolling for overseas externship credit, students must complete an Overseas Travel Waiver. This requirement applies whether or not the U.S. State Department has issued a travel alert or travel warning for the country to which you plan to travel. Students are strongly encouraged to check the website of the U.S. State Department for international travel warnings.

If a travel warning has been issued for the country where an externship has been proposed, the student must comply with the requirements of the University for graduate-professional students prior to departure and as a condition for enrollment for the externship.

The student will not be allowed to enroll in the externship for credit unless the University's International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC) approves of the proposed travel plans.

Overseas Health Insurance

The Law School requires all students going overseas for an externship to purchase UM Travel Abroad Health Insurance through HTH Worldwide. Information about the provisions and benefits offered by HTH Worldwide Insurance, including Frequently Asked Questions, can be found on its website. A student can purchase this insurance directly from the company after the required registration of travel plans has been completed.

While the HTH Worldwide insurance plan will provide some continued coverage in the United States following a condition or injury abroad, this coverage is extremely limited. In addition to purchasing this insurance for coverage overseas, students should maintain U.S.-based health insurance plans.