If approved, second- or third-year JD students may take up to twelve (12) credits and LLM students may take up to six (6) credits outside of the Law School and apply these credits to their degrees. 

For JD students, a maximum of six (6) out of these 12 may be taken at another ABA approved law school. Generally, credit for non-law courses at the University of Michigan will only be approved if at the graduate level (with an exception for foreign language courses). 

All students must obtain approval from the Office of Student Life (lawstudentlife@umich.edu) PRIOR to enrolling in the class. Grades earned in these classes are not factored into Law School students' GPAs, and they do not count toward graded units for honors eligibility.

Non-law U-M Classes

How to Enroll

  • Step 1: At the Law School
    • Check U-M's Schedule of Classes for available classes.
    • Complete an External Enrollment Request for the non-law class. The Office of Student Life will review the form and render its decision by email. The Office's approval is required to apply law-degree credit. 
    • JD students in non-law certificate programs must complete an External Enrollment request in order to apply law degree credit for their non-law classes as well.

    External Enrollment Request

  • Foreign Language Placements

    Before requesting law credit, consult with the appropriate foreign language department for placement in the appropriate level course.

    IMPORTANT: If the course is approved, WAIT until the start of the Law School's Drop/Add period (not before). THEN add the class in Wolverine Access.

  • Secondary Steps Outside the Law School

    If permission to enroll is required, work with the department offering the class to learn their specific procedures. Inform the department that Wolverine Access enrollment appointments for law students begin when the Law School's Drop/Add period starts.

    Some departments may require law students to first obtain permission from the professor before enrolling in their courses. Check with the department offering the class.Instructor Permission Example: Stephen M. Ross School of Business

    1. Send a request to the instructor by email only.
      • Include the following details:
        • Name
        • Your degree program
        • Course name and section (e.g., FIN 623.001)
        • Explanation of your interest in the course

    Search the Directory

    1. If the instructor grants permission, forward the email with the instructor's approval to the Ross Registrar's Office at rossregistrarsoffice@umich.edu.
    2. If seats are available, the Ross Registrar's Office will issue permission through Wolverine Access and an email notification is automatically sent. Register for the course in Wolverine Access. This procedure applies to Business School electives. Core classes are only open to non-Business students after the first day of classes, if seats are available.
    3. Contact the Ross Registrar's Office with any questions (Phone: 734.647.4933; Email: rossregistrarsoffice@umich.edu).


  • Not-for-degree Credit (NDC)

    A default grading basis of NDC is automatically assigned for non-law classes. The NDC will remain on the transcript until the Law School reviews the final grade and removes the NDC flag.

    In order to receive Law School credit, all grades must be the equivalent of a B- (minus) or better. Removing the NDC is a manual process that typically takes place after the Law School's elective "Pass/Fail" period. If the credit is needed earlier, contact the Law School's Office of Student Records.

  • "S" Grade (Mandatory Limited Grade Pass) vs. Non-law Course Grade Earned

    Applies to JD students only.

    In order to receive Law School credit for an approved non-law course, students must receive a grade of a B- (minus) or higher (or the equivalent). Grades lower than a B- receive no law credit and the grade earned is posted on the transcript. The default grade for a non-law course on the transcript is the grade posted by the non-law department.

    Students who would like to "Pass/Fail" a non-law class must request to do so in the External Enrollment system by the Law School's "Pass/Fail" deadline. That deadline will be posted in MLawLive messages after all Law School grades have been posted for a term.

    Once the "Pass/Fail" deadline has passed, no changes to the grading basis can be made. Electing to change an eligible non-law course grade to "S" does not count against a JD student's allotted two Letter Grade Conversion to "P" elections in law courses.

    External Enrollment

  • Auditing

    Law School students can officially audit non-law classes. The grade that appears on the unofficial transcript for a successful non-law course audit is "VI" (for "visit"). Students who wish to take a non-law course with the "AUD" grading option must receive permission from the professor and forward documentation of that to lawrecords@umich.edu

    Submit an External Enrollment request for the class in the External Enrollment system, checking the boxes which indicate that you are auditing and not seeking Law School credit. 

    Enrolling in audit credits beyond the term credit limit (15) is subject to approval by the Office of Student Life in accordance with ABA standards (if approved, this will be noted in the External Enrollment system). Deadline for electing to audit a non-law class in F21: Monday, September 20, 2021.

    External Enrollment

Taking Classes Outside U-M

To take a course outside The University of Michigan, students must complete and submit a Request for Approval of Course Taken at Another University Form in the External Enrollment  system. The Office of Student Life will review the form and render its decision by email. 

The Office's approval is required to apply law-degree credit.

Request External Enrollment