Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct: Policies and Support

The University of Michigan and its Law School take matters involving Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct and Title IX Misconduct very seriously.

Read U-M’s Policy (pdf)

The University of Michigan Policy on Sexual and Gender-Based Misconduct (“Policy”) prohibits the following types of conduct (also referred to collectively as “Prohibited Conduct”):

  • Sexual Assault
  • Sexual Exploitation
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Gender-Based Harassment
  • Sex and/or Gender-Based Stalking
  • Intimate Partner Violence
  • Sex and Gender-Based Discrimination
  • Retaliation 
  • Violation of Supportive Measures

It also includes Title IX Misconduct (as defined by and within the scope of Title IX):

  • Quid Pro Quo Sexual Harassment
  • Severe, Pervasive and Objectively Offensive Sexual Harassment
  • Sexual Assault
  • Sex-Based Intimate Partner Violence and Stalking

If you believe that you have experienced some form of prohibited conduct, or if you have information regarding such misconduct, three important mechanisms are available to you.

U-M Police

First, we encourage you to contact the University of Michigan Police Department (also known as UMPD or the University of Michigan Division of Public Safety and Security (DPSS)) at 734.763.1131 or via email.

Contact UMPD

About UMPD

Michigan Law

Second, we hope that you will feel comfortable sharing the information with someone at the Law School. Office of Student Life staff members are available to provide you with additional information about your options and can help you tap into the many support services that are available on campus. (734.764.0516, [email protected])

The Office of Student Life recognizes that cases involving sexual or gender-based misconduct are deeply personal and private. At the same time, Office of Student Life staff members are required under federal law and University policy to report to the University’s Equity, Civil Rights, and Title IX Office (ECRT) any information about an incident involving sexual misconduct. The ECRT will then look into this matter. Although we encourage you to speak with ECRT, you are not required to do so. The decision is entirely up to you.

Other U-M Resources

Third, if you want your information to remain confidential, you may obtain help without going through the Law School administration.

Three offices on campus provide counseling but will not report information to ECRT or the police without your express permission or as required by law.

The University’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC), which is staffed with advocates who provide educational and support services related to sexual assault, sexual exploitation, sexual harassment, gender-based harassment, sex and/or gender-based stalking, and intimate partner violence.

The University’s Counseling and Psychological Services office (CAPS), which is staffed by psychologists and social workers, and offers a variety of services aimed at helping students resolve personal difficulties and acquire the skills and attitudes that they need to take full advantage of their experiences at the University. A CAPS counselor, Dr. Reena Sheth, is located in the Law School and provides services exclusively to members of the Law School community. She may be reached at [email protected]

The University’s Office of the Ombuds, where student questions, complaints, and concerns about the University can be discussed confidentially. The office offers informal dispute resolution services, provides resources and referrals, and helps students consider options available to them.

Whether or not you decide to report an instance of sexual or gender-based misconduct or participate in an investigation, we encourage you to get support. Trying to manage these situations on your own can be difficult.

If you have any questions or would like more information about these options, please contact any of the people or offices mentioned above.